Updated: Friday, October 20, 2006

Week 8 Trevonics



What exciting times here at the compound. The site got its first mention over at Deadspin, and the servers literally caught fire. It was freaking awesome. Nothing lke watching a little whatsit like Bloo trying to put himself out or seeing the interns re-graft a muppet. Simply a sight to behold. The hits just keep on coming, and the Gospel of Trev has spread to several of the new-fangled web-ranking dealies. I don't know what this means, so I'll just read the statement the kid prepared for me. Ahem.

"Loyal readers, please feel free to pimp and or distribute our own brand of Trev-tastic commentary at portals such as digg, armchairGM, and reddit. Note: Did you eat all of the cereal?"

Concise and to the point, our editor is, and yes, I did eat all of the Cookie Crisp. On to the scoreboard while I still have my sugar high.

Season-to-date-
SU: 45-14
ATS: 35-22-1

While not flashy like the Footballpocalypse, this week is sure to have its share of underrated "wow, this game turned out to be really good" type moments.

West Viginia (-23) at Connecticut 800et (ESPN)
Starting with Friday night, we all want this to be one of those epic "Who the hell is UCONN?" games, but that lofty ideal should be shattered to pieces by the second half when West Virginia decides to start playing. UCONN gave up over 400 rushing yards to Navy this year, and while that's not a knock on the Middies, I read somewhere that WVU has a good running game. 23 is still a lot of points, but I'm not going to split the pick, just because I want to thoroughly enjoy the clinic that will be this game
Trev's pick: West Virginia

Wisconsin (-6.5) at Purdue 1200et (ESPN)
Wisconsin, you are getting zero respect right now. None. Apparently, Purdue is still some kind of offensive juggernaut. You don't get points for every manufactured tradition, Boilermakers. Take out the +4 they're likely getting for that ginormous drum of theirs, +3 for the home field, -2 for the day game, and tack on another +3 for the fact that the Badgers don't take any guff from this "basketball on grass" business, and you've got....Wisconsin (-14.5). Wisky by two scores, but I'll only be giving you one.
Trev's pick: Wisconsin

Nebraska (+5) vs. Texas 1200et (ABC)
I'm having the kid gas up the cropduster right now. They are going to find me naked in a cornfield after this one. WOOOO! GO HUSKERS! Seriously, Texas is just not impressing me. Maybe I'm biased, maybe I think they haven't really played anyone, maybe I'm on my fifth glass of Wild Turkey this morning, but I think Nebraska has a shot at this. I wagered a snifter of port with Broderick West Quinnsington IV that my side would win handily. Big Red all the way.
Trev's pick: Nebraska

Michigan (-13) vs Iowa 330et (ABC)
Iowa, you magnificent bastards! I had you as my defacto Big Ten dark horse, and then you proceed to play noodle-scratchingly average against both Syracuse and Indiana. Maybe you were looking forward to Michigan, but I'm not buying it for one second. No sir...I only cling my naivete to one Big Ten underacheiver, and that's the Spartans. The soon-to-be-mythic Michigan front 7 is going to make Drew Tate look like Anthony Morelli, and I don't mean that in a positive way.
Trev's pick: Michigan

Tennessee (-11) vs. Alabama 330et (CBS)
Some would say that this game is huge, a real rivalry for the ages, and that its breakdown should be exhausting. Those people are not reading this unless they have wifi in their RVs while camping out in Knoxville for the past 5 days. Simply put, Cutliffe > Orgeron as offense reaches yes. This should not be pretty in any sense.
Trev's pick: Tennessee

Florida State (-6.5) vs. Boston College 330et (ABC)
I refuse to believe that Boston College is good, and I refuse to believe that Florida State is not. All of those years in the professional punditry business have caused my pick for this game to be damn near reflex for me. I'm hard-wired to believe that the Eagles will have any shot in this game. Sorry, it's just the way I am. Boston College defeating an anemically Mexico-less VaTech offense isn't going to do the trick. Besides, shouldn't the Seminoles be beginning their backslide into the ACC title game by now?
Trev's pick: Florida State

Pittsburgh (-6.5) vs. Rutgers 545et (ESPN2)
The return of Tyler F-ing Palko! While Rutgers has become the staff's favorite scrappy team of this season, this is going to be a tough game for them. The Panthers offense is looking positively electric, despite being coached by the Wannstache, and I wouldn't be surprised if they played a hand in the pending Big East mutual meltdown.
Trev's pick: Pittsburgh

Georgia Tech (+7.5) at Clemson 745et (ESPN)
Ever since the Irish season opener, the kid has been watching this team like a freaking hawk. He's still in shock over the tenacious D flying around for Georgia Tech. The buzz...sorry I had to...surrounding Coach Tenuta and what he's doing down there is unavoidable. Going into Clemson's Death Valley against the high-powered Tiger offense is the latest test in whether this big-name coordinator is the next Buddy Ryan or the next Brock Spack. I think the Jackets keep this one close, if not win outright. Coin flip time: it's Heads. Reggie Ball completes 51% of his passes, Tech can take them. Either way, the winner of this game deserves some love in the rankings.
Trev's pick: Georgia Tech

LSU (-32.5) vs. Fresno State 900et (ESPN)
HUH? They play night games at LSU? When did this start? I'm obviously joking, but come on. Fresno State is struggling this year, and in a day game they might have a chance to mop the floor with the Tigers, "mop the floor" in this instance meaning "score point on." This is going to be a snuff film. I don't want to make any "Deliverance" jokes or anything like that, but there are going to be a lot of rowdy Cajuns Saturday night...this could get ugly fast.
Trev's pick: LSU

Notre Dame (-13) vs. UCLA 230et (NBC)
Finally, we rewind it back to the afternoon's matchup of Notre Dame and UCLA. Our editor has slept awfully well this week, even though it turns out UCLA QB Patrick Cowan is OK, and seemed to be preparing for a nice quiet Saturday in South Bend. Maybe he'll go to Home Depot, I could use one of those cool orange hats. To the contrary, the kid has been resting up for what is turing out to be Blogger-Con '06 Part II: The Bloodening. Repeating the revelry of Atlanta, Jay from BGS, Brian from House Rock Built, the elusive Stranko and Orson from EDSBS, will be seen roaming the Catholic Disneyland boulevards searching for dance floors and drinking games alike. Getting back to the game, This feels like two scores any way you slice it, so I'm glad its only 13.
Trev's pick: UCLA

Trev Alberts is a certified drinking game official. He has no tolerance for calling any contest "Flippy Cup."

Labels: ,

1 comments

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I'm a UConn student, and honestly, I'm just happy that someone remembered we have a football program. Thank you for that Trev-nomenal mention.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home