Updated: Thursday, September 27, 2007

Week 5: High-Speed Chaos



Ok, here's the deal, there's a super-awesome Trev plan in the works, and that gets an entire post of its own. So there, let us burn through this impressive display of predicticating prowess. Scoreboard, ho!

2007 Season-to-date:
Against the Spread: 33-39-1
Straight Up: 56-17

South Florida (+7) over West Virginia (9/28 800et ESPN)
The biggest game in the history of anything in the home of a couple of Super Bowls and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Maybe there was a Stanley Cup in there to, and I think that's just super. USF has enough defense to keep this game close, and with a whole town, er city, or is it a commonwealth? behind them, they just might get it done.
Trev's pick: South Florida

Louisiana State (-40.5) over Tulane (1200et)
Chainsaw by 41 over Tulane. I can't think of a better way to honor New Orleans.
Trev's pick: Louisiana State

North Carolina (+18) over Virginia Tech (1200et)
Virginia Tech still doesn't have any real semblance of an offense, and North Carolina, while horrible, has to be at least as good as East Carolina. Right?
Trev's pick: North Carolina to cover, Virginia Tech to win

Illinois (+3) over Penn State (1200et)
Wait, WHAT? What could he possibly thinking?!?!? Taking [fighting redacted] over Penn State? There can't be any reason to take Illinois. The line is just sooooo low. Exactly. Believe in the [redacted]....all the freaking way.
Trev's pick: Illinois

South Carolina (-13.5) over Mississippi State (1230et)
Take the team that held the chainsaw under 30 points over the team that could throw 7 interceptions in the first half.
Trev's pick: South Carolina

Ole Miss (+15) over Gerogia (100et)
I'm going to back the Orgeron all the way. Of course, he's going to get another good shot at pulling an upset. Georgia, Alabama heroics aside, is in for some Rebel beatdown. DaCoachO nevah loses. He just runnattatime.
Trev's pick: Ole Miss

Oklahoma (-22.5) over Colorado (130et)
One of these teams plays DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL, one just kind of yells about it.
Trev's pick: Oklahoma

Iowa State (-21) over Nebraska (205et)
That's right, Callahan! You can't even cover against Iowa State. This is where its come too. If I wasn't so preoccupied with other things, I would give you the what-for! But, I'm still pulling for my boys, so I'll split the pick.
Trev's pick: Iowa State to cover, Nebraska to win

Oregon (-6) over California (330et)
The PAC-10 clash of the not-Trojans, and I'm taking the home field. This game will nto be settled by a field goal, or two field goals, but passing yardage....lots of it.
Trev's pick: Oregon

Clemson (-3) over Georgia Tech (330et)
Clemson will run back in time, and knock Georgia Tech out of the ACC. Altering college football history in a small section of Atlanta for all eternity.
Trev's pick: Clemson

Rutgers (-16.5) over Maryland (330et)
I'm still on the fence on this whole Rutgers is Really Good business. Sure, I'm picking them to win. Sure, I'm ranking them pretty high....but I'm just not feeling it. They kicked some Big East butt last year, mainly the Louisville Armtacklers. Eh, whatever. Maryland is still Maryland.
Trev's pick: Rutgers

Texas (-14.5) over Kansas State (330et)
Texas is back, and ready for revenge! Revenge against the point spread.
Trev's pick: Texas

Wisconsin (-7.5) over Michigan State (330et)
I would rather root for Wisconsin as the scrappy darkhorse than Michigan State. That's just me. Michigan State is much more fun when they implode.
Trev's pick: Wisconsin

Hawaii (-25) over Idaho (330et)
Hawaii cannot afford a Milton Berle.
Trev's pick: Hawaii

Alabama (+2.5) over Florida State (500et)
I called it before, and I'm still calling it now. Something something something Dark Side. Something something something something Complete.
Trev's pick: Alabama

Southern Cal (-20.5) over Washington (800et)
Just checking, there's a decimal point in that, but I'd take -205 if I got the right odds.
Trev's pick: Southern Cal

Florida (-18) over Auburn (800et)
Tebow, he's like a really really good Matt Grothe.
Trev's pick: Florida

Ohio State (-23.5) over Minnesota (800et)
Minnesota < Northwestern
Trev's pick: Ohio State

Stanford (+14) over Arizona State (1000et)
Stanford bows to no man!
Trev's pick: Stanford

Cincinnati (-14) over Sand Diego State (1000et)
Almost last but not least, the Bearcats keep doing whatever it is they're doing. Don't stop believing.
Trev's pick: Cincinnati

Notre Dame (+22) over Purdue (1200et)
Ok, this is just getting out of freaking hand. 22 points? 22 points?!? Really? REALLY!?! Well, I guess we're riding this one to hell. The kid holds out hope for a Purdue team forgetting to run the ball. We're pretty sure the Irish can't stop the run, but we don't know about the pass so much. Why? Because everyone keeps running! I'm still hoping I get to watch the kid slowly go insane...for real this time.
Trev's pick: Notre Dame

Trev Alberts is a former ESPN commentator. He is not a speed reader.

Labels: ,

1 comments

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Cal fan, I gotta say...you're having a pretty shitty day with all your picks...

Cal. Oklahoma. Clemson. Texas. Wisconsin. Rutgers (you're reasoning was almost there). LSU.

Admitedly, I've never really understood the whole "against the spread" or "take the points," which means I really shouldn't be commenting here in the first place. Who knows if I'm right about all the above? (Did South Carolina let you down, too? They won by 16 points, so they covered the -13.5 spread, right? You win there?!) See, I'm not sure how it works.

Hey, you got your Nebraska reasoning down, didn't you? Nebraska won, but only by 18, so Iowa State covered. Correct??

I just know you were wrong about Cal, and that your faith in them has been wavering at best. I hope this very hard-fought road win will alleviate said uneasiness.

I'm a lifelong Cal fan. I've lived through the Tom Holmoe and Keith Gilberston years. I've endured the Kapp year. The years of NCAA-sanctions (thanks, Coach Holmoe!). The sad-few years of promise with Bruce Snyder, only to have the hope dashed because of the idiocy of an AD who felt he--and football--wasn't worth the price to keep him.

To third-generation fan/alums like myself, there is nothing but greatness and hope in this, the Tedford Era.

Anyone questioning the Bears' abilities under Tedford, need to be reminded that we are here to stay...and we may just cover a spread or two.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home